Sunday, 20 September 2015

Battletech Redesign!

Hi!

Well I've been a bit quiet of late due to a mixture of a heavy workload and commissions but I've managed to take a bit of time to paint up one of my recent sculpts in the form of a Javelin mech for Battletech:

 Davion mech on patrol

I've always been a massive fan of the Battletech universe as its setting is every bit as detailed as that of GW's but without the Grimdark and the story is constantly evolving and moving forward which combined with about thirty years of background material makes for a fascinating read.

What I don't like about Battletech is ironically the rules and miniatures. I don't have the patience to spend hours recording heat and ammunition supplies and always found the miniatures butt ugly to be honest. I've heard good things about the new Alphastrike but haven't picked up a copy yet but decided to have a go at sculpting my own mech.

 Frontier Patrol

One of the best things about Battletech are the Technical Manuals which give descriptions and capabilities of the many mechs and vehicles that fight in the never ending conflict of the Inner Sphere and I had quite an enjoyable evening perusing my copies to see what mech to start off with.

I had already decided to go for a light lance as I wanted them to represent a frontier garrison of some outback planet near the Capellan border which would give me plenty of opportunity to play about with raids from the Confederation and some of the Periphery states and pirates too. I eventually settled on a Javelin as a good, fast machine which is built as a scout and set to work sculpting.

The final machine turned out rather nicely so I have begun work on the remainder of the lance but more on that later!


Having finished painting the little chap, I was struck that in the style that I am sculpting these machines, they could do easy double duty as a dreadnaught or heavy combat armour for my Rogue Trader setting too and lo and behold, he does look quite decent alongside the diminutive Orks too!

 Camo for a thirty ton lord of the battlefield? Why not!

With a bit of work I should have a couple of lancemates done soon for him and then we shall see what we can do about sorting out some opposition in the form of the duplicitous House Liao!
 

I am pondering going for a bit of a redux of the classic Battletech setting and scale down the mechs from ponderous behemoths to something more like the Heavy Gear mobile suits but must admit to having a soft spot for properly giant stompy robots meting out destruction on one another in a neo-feudalistic setting where technology is becoming rarer and humanity stands at a crossroads. Do they move forward or slide into barbarism?

Scale Shot

Painting wise, I settled for a generic camo green with the Federated Suns crest and colours. I think I may re-investigate the head as the viewscreen is a bit flat at the moment and could possibly do with a bit more oomph but we shall see!

In the meantime, All the best!

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hi!

      Thanks for the comments! I've really enjoyed sculpting and painting the little fellow but I am a bit unsure if I want to do any more of them as I am wanting to go for a bit more of a classic Battletech look!

      I shall need to do a bit more experimenting to get the finished design I want!

      All the best!

      Delete