Friday, 19 February 2016

An Ode to Lost Games

Hi!

Well my day off has not resulted in much more hobby activity than sculpting a top lip to one of the Cave Dwellers that I am currently working on but I did spend a little time this afternoon perusing some of my less well remembered rulesets.

Over the years, I seem to have collected rather a lot of rules for games that have fallen by the wayside, both fantasy and sci-fi. A quick peruse this evening shows 60+ fantasy rulesets alone that seem to have found their way into my collection and it seems a real shame not to actually try and do something with them.

On the one hand, I do find them rather inspirational as there's some brilliant background and ideas in said games but it strikes me as rather a pity that designers spent ages writing rules, building settings and in many cases, creating entire worlds for gamers to play in, only for them to be abandoned on a shelf when the company shuts up shop or moves onto other things.

I've really enjoyed the opportunity to play some games of Leviathan over the last couple of weeks and want to explore the possibilities that some of the others can present!


While most of the posts will be set in Aeroth, I do hope to put together one or two games in Crucible as well but will be keeping the action in the same world but featuring survivors of The Death fleeing to the lost continent! It will also give me the chance to explore some different scenic stuff too which hopefully will keep me from getting too bogged down.

I think the first thing I need to do though is to post a review of Leviathan now I've got the hang of it. I can't believe that I've had the rules for such a long time and obsessed about it for literally decades and never written one so do expect some sort of ramblings on it soon!

I also want to explore some of the other rulesets that I have which are currently gathering dust which will feature here in the coming month too including Chronopia...

I'll also try to finish off some gubbins for Song of Blades soon so watch this space!

All the best!

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to it! I've lost track of how many rule sets I own lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!

      Tell me about it! I keep stumbling across more of them and it got to the point that I either get rid of them or acually put them to some good use for once but having perused one or two of them, I quite fancy giving them a bash as I feel its the least I can do!

      All the best!

      Delete