Wednesday, 10 February 2016

Developing Leviathan

Hi!

Well I've spent a fair amount of time pondering over the rulebook and rereading the rules themselves to try and properly get my head round the mechanics and do like what I see. Yes there are quite a few areas needing work but I do think they are relatively easy fixes which will turn the game into a more playable beast!

I've rummaged out my old draft copy of the MK1.1 rules that contained all my scribbled notes and queries as to how stuff worked or needed explanation and whatnot and am busily typing them up before trying out a couple more games using the existing rules. Hopefully with some more games under my belt, I will be in a better position to not only understand the game as it is, I will be able to work through the MK1.1 rules more thoroughly and clear up the remaining issues I have with the game.

Once the basic rules are sorted out, I will be moving onto the stuff that's missing such as Earthpower and rules for flying and buildings. I plan on borrowing lots of elements from Chronopia for this so suspect I will be using the opportunity to play some games using that system too to get to grips with Leviathan's successor. Another ruleset I plan on borrowing from is Crucible by FASA. It's another cracking but largely forgotten game that I recall having some of the best rules for formations I've seen as well as a decent magic system that could well contain some good inspiration for rules going forward.


Once all this malarky is sorted out and I have a half readable set of rules, we shall see if Earthpower can finally make it's appearance...

In the meantime, I am still trying to settle on how I plan on basing the forces. I suspect that they are going to eventually be multi-based with infantry consisting of 3-4 miniatures per stand or 1-2 for cavalry and larger infantry such as Great Orcs. The current cardboard counters I am using has the infantry mounted on 30x30mm, warbeasts and tanks on 40x60mm and monstrous beasts and wargolems on 40x40mm.

Possible Wargolem Proxy? 

This may be subject to change though as I am still sourcing suitable proxy miniatures for everything and with some of the Warmachine Khador mechs looking just about perfect for Wargolems, it might be the case that 50x50mm would be better.

Hopefully I will have a second battle report to post tomorrow. I doubt it will be as in depth as the last one but hopefully will give me chance to try out some more tactics for taking down the accursed Wargolems!

I also hope to start adding some more units to the game, possibly running to between 1250 and 1500 points which will allow me to bring in some more warbeasts for the Orcs and test out a few ideas I've been playing around with which would allow the Orcish crew to actually participate in any close combat.

We shall see how things go!

All the best!

7 comments:

  1. The Juggernaut might be too big if your still going for 15mm. But then I don't know how big they wargolems are supposed to be. But maybe some of the Dwarf Warjacks might be a better size. Or some of the light jacks from other factions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!

      I did consider that to be honest but the Khador machines look the part! Comparing my old Leviathan Dwarven Wargolem that's 28mm stands roughly 110mm tall, it might be a little on the big side but not outrageously so and judging by how they play in the test game, they are rather combat monsters so a big bulky machine might do the trick!

      The other option is to sculpt my own which I am also pondering, if for no other reason, it's cheaper!

      We shall have to see what we can come up with though!

      All the best!

      Delete
  2. Isn't Leviathan the "spiritual progenitor" to Chronopia? I've never peeked at Leviathan but always assumed they were very similar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't Leviathan the "spiritual progenitor" to Chronopia? I've never peeked at Leviathan but always assumed they were very similar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!

      The developing team created Leviathan then Chronopia so there are quite a few similarities but the two games are rather different beasts. I may also check out Celtos which was also a development of the same bunch of people.

      It's such a shame that such creativity has been abandoned when the companies went down. Still, there's no reason not to use proxies to play!

      All the best!

      Delete
  4. Absolutely, also celtos miniatures, which are still in production, are great proxies for chronopia sons of kronos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed they are!

      Celtos is actually a really good game as I recall. Back in my Borders Books days, we hosted some gaming nights with the folks from i-Kore and Celtos played really well. It's a shame it seems to have been in the developmental doldrums but by the sounds of things, Brigade have some big plans for it!

      All the best!

      Delete